Are you ready to take on the world?
When you work for World Challenge you will discover an environment where people are incredibly passionate about what they do and rewarded for their hard work.
Melbourne Head Office Positions
Are you interested in making a difference to the lives of young people by working in Australia’s oldest and most experienced overseas student travel company? Take a look at our current opportunities to work in our Melbourne World Challenge Office.
Become a World Challenge Expedition Leader
We are currently looking for new Expedition Leaders, specifically located in South Australia and Western Australia who have the ability to inspire and motivate young people. As a World Challenge Expedition Leader, you’ll work in some of the most exciting destinations and participate in life-changing experiences with the support of our world-class safety systems.
If you live in other locations please do still apply, it may take us a little longer to get back to you.
Leading for us
Leaders are responsible for ensuring that students and teachers have the best possible experience through participant safety, happiness and learning.
World Challenge Leaders are expected to lead from behind, allowing Challengers to make mistakes and giving them the opportunity to take charge of situations. Nonetheless, leaders should expect to step in and assist with team dynamics, planning, budgeting and communication when necessary.
Minimum Leader Requirements
- Hard Skills/ Technical Qualifications in trekking/ bushwalking.
- Experience leading 5+ day bushwalks (40+days required).
- Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate risk in outdoor, urban and group settings.
- Experience working or travelling in the developing world (minimum 4 weeks, personal travel is recognised).
- Wilderness/Remote Area First Aid Qualification or equivalent & CPR certification (Please note that this qualification is not required at the time of application, but must be obtained prior to leading an expedition).
- Previous Experience working with youth/appropriate soft skills.
- Police/Criminal/Working with Children Screening.
Leaders are not responsible for designing itineraries, writing risk assessments, or setting up community service projects. However Leaders are responsible for:
- Trouble shooting logistical changes and performing dynamic risk assessments on the ground.
- Following itineraries, general risk assessments, and company protocol about safety and health.
- Managing the safety and health of all participants.
- Working with World Challenge resources (on call Operations Center and doctors) when necessary to coordinate medical or logistical assistance for the team.
- Maintaining and using all team gear, med kits, and satellite technology appropriately.
- Aiding Challengers in meeting and overcoming personal challenges.
- Facilitating the development of communication and leadership skills.
Potential Leader Training and Assessment Course
All potential Expedition Leaders must attend a Potential Leader Training and Assessment Course (PLC).
This is a 3 day induction, training and assessment event. Day 1 will be spent mainly indoors. Days 2 & 3 will be a mixture of practical assessment and simulations with peers.
2017 Potential Leader Courses:
Melbourne 3 – 5 February
Adelaide 17 – 19 February
Perth 24 – 26 March
(Only successful applicants will be contacted.)
The course is designed to assess and develop both technical and soft skills and will cover all aspects of leading a World Challenge Expedition including:
- Introduction to World Challenge (history & ethos).
- Expedition Overview.
- The role of a World Challenge Leader.
- Group Dynamics & Team Building.
- Expedition Safety.
- Risk Management.
- In-Country support.
- Operations Room and Safety & Backup System.
- Expedition Equipment.
Potential Leaders will be assessed on the following:
- Ability to ensure team safety and make sound decisions in the field, including dynamic Risk Assessments.
- Ability to deliver the World Challenge ethos.
- Ability to teach and demonstrate standard expedition / camping skills.
- An ability to engage with a team of students and teachers and create “teaching moments” while on the trail.
- Knowledge of basic wilderness medicine.
STUDENT EXPEDITIONS TO OVER 40 DESTINATIONS AROUND THE WORLD!
WE ARE ONE OF THE WORLD’S LEADING STUDENT EXPEDITION COMPANIES
- Over 25 years’ experience of creating school expeditions
- Dedicated regional support for teachers throughout planning and build up
- Unparalleled safety and support throughout the expedition
- Knowledgeable, experienced and highly trained Expedition Leaders
NEW TO WORLD CHALLENGE?
Every World Challenge starts long before your students step on a plane. With our support, develop life skills and take ownership of:
- Destination and itinerary planning
- Fundraising ideas and events
- Budgeting and money management
- Preparation, fitness and nutrition
Get in touch with one of our consultants to start planning your overseas school expedition today!